Taylor Freezer of Michigan History
The Rise of a Leading Foodservice Equipment Supplier
1940s and 1950s
Alcid Seigneur was selling and installing batch freezers manufactured by Tekni-Craft (Taylor) from 1939 to 1945 out of his garage in Adrian, Michigan. This was the beginning of what now is known as Taylor Freezer of Michigan, Inc.
In 1946, through the development of an independent world wide, Taylor Freezer sales and service organization, Alcid’s son, Basil Seigneur was appointed the authorized Taylor Freezer distributor for the State of Michigan. The business known as Seigneur Bros. The sales team was based in a building that also had a restaurant called the Rainbow (owned by Basil and Melvin Seigneur) which was a popular location to dine in the 1950s.
In 1960, another restaurant, Big Boy of Adrian, was built by Basil and his two brothers, George and Melvin. Seigneur Bros. Sales occupied the basement of the restaurant as its home for sales and service of Taylor commercial ice cream equipment for the State of Michigan until a permanent building could be built to accommodate the expanding business. The building was built within the city limits of Adrian on the south side of town in 1962.
In 1970, the company changed its name from Seigneur Bros. Sales to Taylor Freezer of Michigan, Inc.
In 1970, Frosty Boy of Adrian was constructed as the first operating showroom for Taylor Freezer and related equipment. Although not owned by Taylor Freezer of Michigan, Inc. today, the store is still a mainstay in Adrian after 36 years.
In December of 1983, our commercial food equipment company moved after more than 40 years in Adrian to Livonia, Michigan. At the time of the move, there were 17 people employed at the Adrian facility.
Basil Seigneur retired and sold the company in 1989 to four long-term employees.
In 1988, Taylor built a new facility in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Our long time dealer retired in 1986.
In 2003, Taylor built a new facility in Traverse City Michigan after moving from a leased building.
Into the Future
From our humble beginnings in 1946, we have grown to have three offices that are located in Livonia, Grand Rapids, and Traverse City. We also have an office in Edmore, MI to handle the Broaster® deliveries and the condiment side of the business. 2018 marks our 11th year of being a Broaster Distributor. We currently have 62 employees at our locations to provide the best commercial food equipment, service, parts, and supplies.
It is a pleasure that we will do our best to serve our existing and new customers.
Rick Senica – President